Sunday, August 31, 2008

Well - it seems that I don't have time to update this blog anymore. I am simply working too much. I am the only person I know making well north of $120,000 after taxes and living in a shoebox with expenses of about $800 a month. We save between 90 - 95% of our income. We have no debt and are frugal to a fault. For example we don't buy food containers; we buy margarine and reuse that container until it falls apart - I mean the cheap margarine too! My wife will reuse paper towels if they were only used to soak up water or if they can be used again to clean up some non-food-related mess. We spend zero on clothes, entertainment, and many many other things. This won't go on forever, of course. I plan to buy a house in the USA (and pay cash) and retire once I have sufficient streams of income. The thing I want to emphasize is this: If I can do this anyone can!! However, to do it I had to move overseas because the need I recognized (the desire at all costs to learn English by Asians) could only be filled by coming to Asia and getting good at teaching, and then going one step further and starting my own business. I am the embodiment of all of the platitudes that you've read about saving money and earning money: pay yourself first, make yourself indispensable at work, be your own boss, cut out frivolous spending, etc, etc. If my portfolio drops $1000 in a month what do I care if that month my income is close to $20,000 (as it was in August)? Anyone can do this but so few are willing - too bad for them!

No comments: